Thursday, September 17, 2009

Crayfish



I was working in my basement shop this evening with the door to the outside open.  I looked down and espied what I at first though was some really weird-looking bug.  Well, I guess it is a bug, but not the type suitable for posting on BugGuide -- a mudbug, crawdad, crayfish.  I'm really not up on my crayfish IDs so I have no idea what species it is.  Still, when crayfish start coming inside to get out of the weather, I think it's a sign we've had more than enough rain.  I mean, we live in the hills of Arkansas' Ozark Mountains, not along a southern Louisiana bayou.

Rain:  Nine inches so far this month.  One inch Tuesday and another 3.7 on Wednesday.  Enough already!




Creative Commons License

.
Share/Bookmark

6 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I see who has been hogging all of our rain. We have had only about a half inch since mid August.

This is a big crawdad. I wouldn't pick one up now. I used to play with them when I was a kid. Ha..I would certainly be startled if one wandered into a work area.

Lana Gramlich said...

We've had a fair bit of rain, too, but we've needed it. Of course, down here crawfish are considered "the other white meat." ;) *L*

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Gosh what a wierd thing to have crawling up to your door Marvin. That is a lot of rain, I wish we would start getting some here but it looks like we are in for more drought.

We have a thing about frogs .... if you see them hoping towards water, then no rain; away from water, rain is coming.

Q said...

You have had lots of rain!
We too have had a wet summer. This past week is the first seven dry days in weeks.
He is a good looking crawdad!
Do stay dry.
Happy Autumn.
Sherry

AphotoAday said...

The last mess of Crawdads I ate was probably 50 years ago, but man, were they ever good eating! Can bugs really taste this good? I've always thought of them more as a crab...

Anyway, where I got my mess of Crawdads was from the headwaters of the Carmel River way out in Carmel Valley... I think we were using scraps of meat at the end of a line for bait -- no hook -- the Crawdads would just hang on to the bait when you pulled them in...

These days I will occasionally spot a Crawdad in the streams around here (140 miles north of Carmel) but definitely not as prolific as they were way back then in the Carmel River...

laughingwolf said...

i used to use em all the time for catching huge bass, largemouth and smallmouth :)