Sunday, June 15, 2008

Two-striped Planthopper Nymph (Acanalonia bivittata)



Two-striped Planthopper Nymph (Acanalonia bivittata)

I don't really know much about this tiny (1/8") little critter other than it is a nymph stage of the Two-Striped Planthopper. (Additional nymphs images and photos of adults are here on BugGuide. Additional information on Two-striped planthoppers is here.) Both nymph and adult planthoppers suck out plant juices.

I wish I knew the purpose/reason for the two tufts of hair emerging from the nymph's rear. They always make me imagine that it is jet propelled.



Share/Bookmark

6 comments:

Tom said...

What a strange creature this is... I love this 'Bug Guide' you use.. it really is very good

Lana Gramlich said...

*LOL @ the jet propulsion!* Nice shot. :)

Lisa at Greenbow said...

This looks like a hermit crab. Where did you find this guy? How strange.

Marvin said...

Lisa: I found this critter on the rim of my coffee cup. I came very close to drinking it. You can find them anywhere there are plants and no pesticides. I was in our veggie garden at the time.

Small City Scenes said...

I have seen the adult and now I know what the nymph looks like. I like the bugsd and it is amazing home many beneficials bugs and such we have if we just use them to control other pests in our gardens. Nature works. MB

Anonymous said...

I have never seen anything like this. EVER. And I've seen a lot of bugs. In fact I'm fscinated by bugs. My friends always freak when I get two inches from a hornet or bee or spider to photograph it.

This little guy looks like something out of Star Wars or some other Sci-Fi movie. Amazing! I can never get over the diversity in Nature. If one looks closely, like you do, they will see things stranger than any fiction.